Sunday, July 18, 2010

More Imagery

Best Of Moon

Taken with the Panasonic Lumix TZ1 7/17/10

I was out in back, taking twilight photos of the latest lily's, when I happened to look up and see the moon just above the big oak tree. For fun, I pointed the camera skyward and zoomed, (10x optical), in on the moon. I had no idea how good the pictures were until I put them on the Macbook and looked closely. Wowie-zowie, I like this camera.

It Comes Out At Night

Mutant lily begins to emerge as night begins. 7/17/10

I have been having many days of fun and entertainment, watching the randy behavior of the lily's, (are you waving a pistol, or are you just glad to see me?), as they soak up water, bake in the sun, and exchange pollen. I thought I would see what they were up to just as darkness fell tonight.


This raggedy bad boy/girl is still in the game. 7/17/10

I am beginning
to see how active they have been, by the amount of pollen left on the stamens. When they first bloom, the stamen have bushy brooms of pollen that diminish during the fertilization process. The next picture shows stamen that are just about to be released from inside the pod.


A look inside a lily as it is opening. 7/17/10

You can see these
, and the best of other flowers I have photographed so far this month, HERE.


The mutant lily coming out at night. 7/17/10

Cup Of Joe

I had to draw an image for this piece. 7/17/10

Josephus Daniels (18 May 1862-15 January 1948) was appointed Secretary of the Navy by President Woodrow Wilson in 1913. Among his reforms of the Navy were inaugurating the practice of making 100 Sailors from the Fleet eligible for entrance into the Naval Academy, the introduction of women into the service, and the abolishment of the officers' wine mess. From that time on, the strongest drink aboard Navy ships could only be coffee and over the years, a cup of coffee became known as "a cup of Joe". (Source)

When I read about the cup of Joe, I thought that Marian and Leona would find the information interesting since they are now using this as a 'legal' Scrabble word.

I also had
to draw the cup of Joe, because I didn't make a pot this evening. I know I have old pictures of me with a cup of coffee, but what would be current about that? Besides, it's fun to draw and use one of my Mac toys, (Photo Booth), to turn it into a graphic for the topic.

Cool Inside

Just in from the 107 degree day outside. 7/17/10

I keep it 80 degrees in this apartment. I find that for the Redding summers, that is just right for me, (in winter I keep it 68-70).

Lately I have noticed that I am starting to sweat when the temperature gets over 100. This is new for me, but maybe it's just one of those things that come along when one is 65. When I get home after a couple of hours out in the heat, I find that my clothes are all wet. This is making for extra laundry because I am not about to continue wearing those clothes. This is also making for extra laundry because I am not going to put on clean clothes without first taking a shower, and I need to use a clean towel and washcloth.

What a luxury
it is to be able to stay clean. I am so glad that I now have all these wonderful conveniences.

We go from here.

Life is good.


Just remember to drink plenty of water. (Preferably spring water.)


Today's Relatively Appropriate Song;





Don't Sweat It

No comments: