Saturday, March 21, 2020

Today-Ja-Vu I have seen this before

"Some things that have happened for the first time, seem to be happening again"- This line from the Song Where or When is so apropos that even singing it seems like a redo.



I live in Redding, California. Home to boys who never grew up. For an example: What adult would ride around the block repetitively revving their gasoline wasting engines so we all can appreciate that they have removed the stock mufflers and replaced them with straight pipes? I think that they never out grew putting balloons on the frame of their bicycles as kids so it would sound like a motorboat. 


Just an observation from an old guy who grew up riding bicycles with various noise makers attached so they would make sounds while rubbing against the spokes in the rear wheel. I moved up the ladder to anything on 2 wheels that had a motor and rode motorcycles as my primary choice of transportation for 50 some years. 

In my 20's I learned to keep my, "Bikes", quiet so I could visit lady friends in the middle of the night without alerting neighbors. I don't think that is a concern for the all day all night Redding riders with straight pipes on their bikes and cars. If I sound like a cranky old man, it probably is true during this time of Social Distancing.


Here are a few things that I think a lot of people don't realize;

Airlines have never made a profit. They have been subsidized by our government since the very first "private" airline company was formed. There is no reason to further subsidize them during this time of people not flying to avoid spreading CVID-19. 



Did I mention that I live in Redding? We have been asked to limit our social interactions to Video Chats and other forms of electronic interactions. Our favorite artists are posting videos and live streaming concerts. The latest movies are available through Vudu, IMDB, YouTube, HULU and other sources, so that we dod't put ourselves and others at risk of getting infected. These efforts at limiting exposure, work, (if we use them).

All the Science Fiction stories I have read since 1952 seem to have melted together to become the realities of the 21st century, (for my republican friends, that means now).
Songs I have written, and songs I have sung or listened to others sing, are the real life soundtrack collection of today.



Most of the people with whom I talk to and text, are telling me that they can't seem to shake the feeling of depression. I understand. I find myself on the bounce between depression and happy productivity daily, hourly and sometimes up and down at the same time. What a F.....d up reality we have created globally with our endless wars and dependence on profits.

This Pandemic could help America undo the damages we have been doing to Earth, Air, Water and all life on this planet that our military/industrial juggernaut has been despoiling for profit and control. We are faced with certain COVI-19 infection if we attempt business as usual.


At least there are a few intelligent elected officials that are proposing solutions based on historical facts and science. Guaranteed Universal Income, Climate Change Remedies, No bail outs for Wall Street, Corporate CEO's, Banksters or Boards of Directors, but Universal Healthcare solutions for the poor, the working classes and the middle class. The emergency personnel who are keeping America running, deserve hero level wages.

All the programs that FDR envisioned and implemented are what we need to survive in these times of crises. 

The Green New Deal is a method we can use to accomplish survival. We have to do this without subsidizing corporate profits if we hope to have a future for our planet and our children who will inherit it. 

If you have read this far, thank you for caring about life on planet earth. We can do this. We can have our elections by mail, as some states have been doing for years without fraud or racist foolishness, like Gerrymandering or Voter Suppression.

If you want to know more about the COVID-19 Pandemic, The CDC and California Department of Public Health are excellent sources that just might save your life.


No comments: