Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Fire, Planes, Helicopters, Pentagon Lies, Sci-Fi Beauties

Planes, Helicopters buzz Apt.
While Phil tries to Sleep In.


Firefighting Retardant Plane 8/26/08
I have been getting to sleep around 6AM for the last month or so, and getting up around 8AM to deal with things that people do in the mornings. This has put my sleep sessions on a diet, so this morning I made plans to sleep-in. My phone started ringing around 8:30, and between my land line and cell phone, the phone calls kept coming until around 10:30, then I rolled over and gave it another shot. I managed to ignore the leaf blowers, lawnmowers, backup beepers, fire engines, and people who carry on conversations across vast distances, until the third or fourth plane buzzed the place. I got up to see what was going on and noticed a plume of smoke that appeared to be quite close.

As seen from my balcony 8/26/08

Fire burns just behind Dollar Store. 8/26/08
I drove over behind the Dollar store and saw that the hillside below was burning. Several other people were in their cars or standing on the edge of the hill looking down at the fire and the men and equipment fighting it. I stayed for awhile, taking pictures until it seemed that the various men and machines were making headway, then realizing that I had forgotten to bring my cell phone, I headed home to call a friend who lives in the area of the fire. He and his neighbors were in the news just yesterday trying to save their homes from a new landlord/developer. The new owner has big plans for the property that doesn't include the pesky, disabled, and poor senior citizens who currently live there. I toyed with the idea that the new owner may have had something to do with this conflagration, but unless it started there, it was highly unlikely.

Helicopter drops water 8/26/08
I got home and called my friend on his cell phone. He said they had been evacuated to a place nearby and could see that the fire had not reached their homes yet.

Chopper with bucket. Shot from my balcony 8/26/08
Later, while driving back from town, I took this picture where the fire jumped North Market street.

Re-opened Market street after fire. 8/26/08
Sometimes we can forget the power of a wildfire. This one jumped this wide 4 lane road. In the end, no structures were burned and no one was hurt. It could have been much worse having planes and helicopters buzzing your house. You could be living in Afghanistan.
UN: US kills civilians in Afghanistan
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 21:19:42 GMT
Afghan civilians usually fall prey to attacks on insurgents
The United Nations has accused the US-led forces in Afghanistan of killing civilians after a US airstrike killed some 90 people earlier.

The UN said in a statement on Tuesday that its investigators "found convincing evidence, based on the testimony of eyewitnesses, and others, that some 90 civilians were killed, including 60 children, 15 women and 15 men" in the western province of Herat on Friday.

However, the US military stood by its account, saying that 25 militants and five civilians were killed in the operation.

The UN said that "residents were able to confirm the number of casualties, including names, age and gender of the victims," AP reported.
I sure hope our next administration is a bit more honest with the rest of the world.

Hurricane gives markets excuse to raise oil prices

Hurricane Gustav heads toward oil rigs 8/26/08

It's A Tie, in my opinion.
One of the "Gamer" websites had a
"50 sexiest women in Sci-Fi" poll.

I found that, even though I rarely
watch the new Star Trek spin offs,
number 7 of 9, seemed to be played
by a very attractive actress.

Since, "Gamers", tend to be fixed in
eternal puberty, ( Gamers is a term
used to describe those who play video
games.), my criteria is somewhat
different when it comes to sexy.


Classic Star Trek communication officer Uhura
Believe it or not, you can buy "Bluetooth" ear pieces that look like this 1960's, "future", communication device.

Today's appropriate music selection;
"Fire", by the Ohio Players.

I Believe

No comments: