Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day

Great Escapes

Love these space shots

Viewed from the Banana River Viewing Site at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida, space shuttle Discovery arcs through a cloud-brushed sky, lighted by the trail of fire after launch on the STS-128 mission. Liftoff from Launch Pad 39A was on time at 11:59 p.m. EDT on Aug. 28, 2009.

Home Improvement

My new 51 cent laptop/reading table for easy chair.

I went to Home Depot to look for something that would go across the arms of my easy chair, so I could put my laptop on it or rest a book so I can read without bowing my head all the time. I figured I would find something for $5 to $7, like a shelf or something. What I found was a board in a trash can with a bunch of sticks and plastic trim. I asked a guy that worked there; "Is this trash?" He said it was and I pulled out this board that was too long for my project. I asked again; "This is trash?" "Oh, not that", he said. I said I would buy it if he could cut it to 32".


Perfect. Just like I pictured it.

You may have noticed
the book on the new table, The Doomsday Key, by James Rollins. I really enjoyed it. It was like Ludlum meets Cussler at the Norwegian seed vault. A well spun yarn with several protagonists coming together to save the world from prophesies, conspiracies, and Frankenfood. I devoured this book.

The invention was not
all that useful, or attractive, but it entertained me for a day while I tested it out. I think it was a lot of entertainment for 51 cents.

Not The Milky Way


NGC 4945 is like a twin to our Milky Way.

Just 13 million light years away, in the constellation Centaurus, is a spiral galaxy much like our own, with swirling, luminous arms and a bar-shaped central region.

Old People

What do you know about getting old? Aging Quiz


The Band

The band playing at the, (now closed), 49er club last June.

The Phil Seymour Band
is scheduled to play this month and next. I am not sure when, but I will find out this week and post the information on the various appropriate sites, (including this one), as soon as I know the time and dates.

One of the events will be at the Shasta Mall in October. The woman who asked us to play, emailed a request for promotional material, including a picture. I guess its time to think about a promotional picture. In the meantime I put a few on my Picasa Web Album site, HERE.

You may notice that the pictures are mostly of John Harrison, Mark Mlcoch, and myself. We are the basic band and the other players are interchangeable at this time.

Labor Day Fun

One of the sources of vacation fun in the 1950's.

The game of Cootie
was just one of the many interactive social pastimes during summer vacations in the 50's. Our family would descend upon other families to enjoy time together at the sea shore, lake, farm, or what ever was near the people we would visit. This was before one just parked the kid(s) in front of the TV.

Today, Cootie would not be safe from lawsuits brought by lawyers representing kids who choked while swallowing plastic bug parts.

Todays Relatively Appropriate Song;
Stir It Up - Bob Marley

The Best Time Is Now

No comments: