Monday, November 23, 2009

Nature Gave Me This

Colorful Day

I couldn't pass up this lone rosebud. 11/23/09


These trees are just above the rose bushes. 11/23/09

I just happened to be outside mailing a letter today, when I noticed Nature's colors were in perfect harmony. The sky was just the right shade of blue to accompany the brilliant fall colors. I went and got my camera. It's a good thing I did. I went out an hour later and conditions were not the same. I am glad I listened to my little, inner voice, and took pictures while nature was ready for her close ups.

How To Clean A
Microwave Oven


My lab assistant, Sandi, does the work. 11/23/09

I re-heated some leftover lasagna the other night. It was from Trader Joe's, so it was too good to throw away. I tried just putting some on a plate and nuking it for 2:33 min. I know now why some people, like Garie, have a cover for plates of food warmed in the microwave. Last night, I Googled, "how to clean a microwave", and got plenty of instructions, videos, and clever techniques to try. I read and viewed until I had a good idea of how to do it.

When Sandi came by today, I shared what I had learned, and came to the conclusion that one only needs to place a bowl of water in the microwave and heat it for 3 min., let it sit for a few more, and it cleans up easily with a damp sponge, followed by a dry cloth. The process worked, and, according to Sandi, it was easy. Of course, had I covered the plate of lasagna, an occasional wipe with a damp cloth is all one needs to keep the thing clean.

See-through Sea Cucumber

This little creature lives 1.7 miles deep in the Gulf of Mexico.

This sea cucumber and more, HERE.

Ants Can Talk


Hello? Can you hear me now?

Dr. Robert Hickling found a way to record the sounds of ants communicating with each other. His recordings reveal that there are different languages and "words", that are specific to different ants. READ STORY

A Female shouts
a warning to other ants, Click here

This is one of those wonderful serendipitous moments. I was looking at images of ants to accompany a vinegar tip, and found the story of ants talking to Solomon and a guy who found out that ants do talk. Fascinating. However, I wonder how many of you have tried the following method to discourage these chatty visitors from your kitchen?

A Vinegar Tip

Discourage ants by spraying undiluted white distilled vinegar outside doorways and windowsills, around appliances and wherever you find the pests coming in.

I found this, and 1,000 other uses for vinegar, HERE.

This Just In...

A geyser on Saturn's moon, Enceladus.

More raw images
of Enceladus from the Cassini flyby, HERE.

Today's Relatively Appropriate Song;

High Hopes - Frank Sinatra & Kids


Listening

No comments: