Monday, July 21, 2008

Biscuits, Monsanto, and Blue Skies

Biscuits for Dinner

I have been having some annoying after effects from standing and preparing the kind of meals I truly enjoy. In addition to my deteriorating disks and the damage to my sciatic nerve, my hernia is telling me to get surgery soon. It's getting more difficult to keep my intestine stuffed inside like it's supposed to be. I have to find a surgeon who does these operations with a good success rate that will take my case before my case ends up in the emergency room. At any rate, preparing a nutritious gourmet meal isn't happening until I get the hernia fixed, so I have been making parts of meals, like salad or grilled vegetables.

Tonight I didn't have fresh veggies in the fridge, but I found a cylinder of biscuits. Alright, easy...

Cylinder of biscuits and pizza pan/cookie sheet.

Preheat the oven for 400° and bake for 15 minutes. This is the 2nd time I have used the oven since I moved here last December. Now that I think about it, I made biscuits then as well. Back in December, I went out to get a baking pan to cook biscuits and figured one day I might make pizza, so why not get a pizza pan for cookies and biscuits too? I have yet to make a pizza.

" Mmm, feels like beef tallow."

If you are squeamish, don't read the ingredients on the cylinder. In addition to highly processed, genetically modified corn, wheat, and soy products, it contains 15% of things like beef tallow and potassium chloride, but no buttermilk.

"Buttermilk", biscuits.

Still alive after eating easy to prepare, fake food.

I could spend years reading all the reports, legislation, articles and dangers of Monsanto's GM, roundup ready seeds and the damage these crops are doing to life on earth, but I would be dead of the diseases caused by eating this stuff before I could read half of the scientific data that suggests that it's bad for us. Here is a brief synopsis of what I have found so far;

Monsanto has been using our government to promote the use of GMO's, ( They hold over 1,000,000 patents for genetic modification.). The U.N and the World Trade Organization are coercing countries around the world to buy and use these products. There is no seed saving, these are one crop seeds. Farmers must buy more GM seeds and Roundup each year. It is illegal for farmers in Iraq to plant any crop other than Monsanto GM roundup ready seeds. To plant real crops would result in a loss of property, fines and imprisonment. Operation Iraqi freedom?

More than 70% of the food in our grocery stores has Genetically Modified food products in it!
Bee keepers in the U.S. are refusing to let their bees pollinate GM crops because the pollen is toxic to the bees.
Studies are showing an increase in allergies, intestinal lesions, reproductive disorders, and liver disease in rats that are fed GM foods.
Roundup is a form of Agent Orange.
New forms of roundup resistant weeds are beginning to appear.
Some of the GM crops are beginning to fail as organisms adapt to the pesticides genetically introduced to the plants DNA.
The pollen from these crops is polluting natural crops that grow nearby.
GM plants kill the larvae of the Monarch Butterfly.

Happier News...

"Campfire smoke" moon. 12:00 am 7/20/08

Morning moon 6:00 am 7/20/08
Most of the wildfires are pretty much out, or under control. The smoke has been dissipating daily and soon the air will be ok to breathe again.

Blue skies and tiny cumulus clouds 4:00 pm

There were tiny, white clouds, like floating polka dots, in the blue sky.

On my balcony 7/20/08 4:00 pm

No comments: