Thursday, January 8, 2009

Star Studded Sparkling Day

A Star That Died, The Movie.

You have got to see this.

From the 3-D movie image of Cassiopeia A

Watch the movie HERE.

Big Noise From Outer Space

Where can a guy find peace and quiet?

Runaway Stars

Runaway stars blaze through gas clouds

New images from NASA's Hubble Space Telescope reveal 14 young, runaway stars plowing through regions of dense interstellar gas, creating brilliant arrowhead structures and trailing tails of glowing gas.


UFO Attacks Wind Turbine

Click for video:
The broken wind turbine at right, coupled with sightings of lights
in the night sky, prompted a flurry of UFO claims in the British press this week.

A UFO that could navigate across space and time was no match for a big pinwheel.

What A Magic Music Day
Today was Elvis' birthday. I thought it was significant that Alfred Shaheen, the creator of the Aloha shirt, died just days before Elvis' birthday. It was Elvis who helped make Shaheen's shirts expensive. Elvis wore one for the cover of his album, "Blue Hawaii", and in the movie of the same name. A genuine Shaheen shirt today sells for $3,000 and up!

Not a Shaheen shirt, but I wore it for Elvis, anyway.

I had some things to do out in the world, so in honor of the Aloha shirt and Elvis, I dressed up.

I took along my new $50 bass to show to John Harrison. He said he would take a look at it and see what exactly was wrong with the neck.

I stopped at his violin shop and he was fine tuning one of his cellos. Each little adjusment he made, brought out a world of difference in the sound and feel of the instrument. It was such a gift to be a part of the awakening of that cello's, "soul".

Cellos in John Harrisson's violin shop.

John looked at my bass and within 5 minutes found the problem; Stripped threads in the truss rod nut. He made some suggestions as to how I could proceed with replacing the stripped nut. As he talked, he looked more closely at the part and offered to try cutting the stripped part away. He showed his skill with some tools, and minutes later, I held one end of the guitar while he bent the neck into alignment, then tightened the nut on the truss rod. It worked. Problem solved. The bass plays great.

Straight neck, plays in tune, happy bass, happy Phil.

Some of you may know that, when ever possible, John plays guitar with me at Lu Lu's on thursday evenings. I thanked him sincerely for fixing my bass and we made plans to play later at the blues jam.

It has been a few weeks since I sang with a band. It's a little tricky to sing loud with an un-repaired hernia, but I get so much out of putting everything into the songs, I just had to do it.

I really belted out the songs and everybody had a good time. Sammie Barber, the Shasta Blues Society lady in charge, asked if John and I would put a band together for Valentines Day. We said sure. That will be fun.

It will be nice if I can get my hernia operation before then.
Today's Relatively Appropriate Song;
Accentuate The Positive
Aretha Franklin
Gratitude

No comments: