Friday, August 5, 2011

One Among Many

Bubbles?



The signatures of a bubble collision at various stages in the analysis pipeline. A collision (top left) induces a temperature modulation in the CMB temperature map (top right). The 'blob' associated with the collision is identified by a large needlet response (bottom left), and the presence of an edge is highlighted by a large response from the edge detection algorithm (bottom right). In parallel with the edge-detection step, we perform a Bayesian parameter estimation and model selection analysis. (Credit: Image courtesy of University College London)

This attempt to explain a theory, and subsequent evidentiary findings, is a good example of how difficult it can be to try and describe actual scientific research to the lay person. The story it came from, (Universe Inside A Bubble?), gives a bit more detail, and, if one is inclined, it has the names of the papers and scientific journals that were written by the Physicists themselves, should one seek further clarification.

And Another Thing;



Martin Jutzi and Erik Asphaug, University of California, Santa Cruz via Nature - This diagram provided by Martin Jutzi and Erik Asphaug, University of California, Santa Cruz via Nature shows a simulation of four stages of a collision between the Moon and a companion moon, four percent of the lunar mass, about 4 billion years ago. Earth once had a second moon, until it made the fatal mistake of smacking its big sister, some astronomers now theorize. For awhile when the Earth was young, it had a big moon, the one you see now, and a smaller "companion moon" orbiting above. Then one day that smaller moon collided into the bigger one in what astronomers are calling the "big splat." (AP Photo/Martin Jutzi and Erik Asphaug, University of California, Santa Cruz via Nature)

This was easily explained in simple terms. The article that had this illustration was originally from Space.com, and the Yahoo news version is HERE.




The Economy Explained;

Corporate America is sitting on record amounts of cash but is refusing to make new investments with so little end demand for its products.




In Other News



A few days ago, this was the new bad boy upstart sunflower. Now it’s trademark forelock just looks like a withered petal. Luckily, the youthful visage of days gone by is preserved in one of my latest greeting cards so he will remain forever young.



New Kid On The Stem






The Little Voice

I was going to drive down to Richmond today for Sunday’s LMP Trio performance at the Richmond Museum of History, but the ‘little voice’ kept telling me to get everything that still needed doing, done here in Redding today instead. When I called Marian to ask if that would cause a problem, she told me it actually solved a problem. So I rescheduled my trip for Saturday morning instead.

One of the things I did today, was to discontinue the expensive Android smart phone service that I discovered was unnecessary. I got a basic cell phone.



It has big, back-lighted, number keys and starts when I flip it open.



It fits in my pocket. It tells me who is calling when it rings.

For email, or the internet, I have a Macbook that does that quite nicely.

So, one of the things I got done today was to cut my monthly Verizon bill in half by getting their 65+ service. I don’t text, or spend a lot of time talking on the phone, so I don’t need thousands of minutes or the rest of the stuff that one can get. I just like having an inexpensive portable phone. (Thanks again to the nice people at Air One Cellular for being so helpful.)

But That’s Not All I Did Today.

I brought books back to the library and got more. I got a pair of light colored summer slacks at Penny’s. I got A.T. & T. to take a scam charge off my bill. I finished paying the rest of things due this month. I got some food at Trader Joe’s and explained to the manager why I no longer buy the delicious pizzas or the perfect apple pies, (I got a couple of doughy, under-baked pies and at another time, a pizza that was soggy with oil).

It seemed like the right thing to do. Otherwise how would they know the real reason that sales of single pizzas and apple pies had fallen off?

It was a good thing that I listened to my inner voice today. I would have been unconsciously, or consciously, distracted by things left undone while in Richmond this weekend, had I not stayed in Redding today, tying up loose ends.

Today’s Relatively Appropriate Song;





The Message Is Clear

No comments: