Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Still Afloat

On The River Of Time

Agapanthus in the rain

The ‘computer age’ has opened the doors to the world for anyone with a high speed internet connection and a device that can use it.

I say ‘device’ because we no longer are confined to a desk with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor hooked up to a box full of hardware components.

Protected Rose

I have a ‘device’ that’s not much bigger than a credit card, yet it can outperform my state of the art iMac from the year 2000. I can be in touch with all things connected anywhere at anytime wherever there is a Wi-fi signal. 

Bowl of cereal with fruit

If I had an iPhone, I wouldn’t even need Wi-fi, but the monthly expense doesn’t seem justified with my present circumstances. My iPod Touch is as full featured as an iPhone, but there is no monthly cell phone plan to pay. I sometimes use it in places like the library where there is Wi-fi.

I do have an Android ‘smartphone’ but I found it was unpleasant to use, so it stays in a box in the cupboard. One day, I will probably get an iPhone, but I digress.

Tiny backyard butterfly

The world is truly at our fingertips. I can look at a live view of nearly every city and famous place around the globe, 24 hours a day. I can Skype, or Facetime, to see and talk with  people no matter where they are on the planet.

Bee fly

No one needs to limit themselves to one source of information, or view of important events locally, or anyplace on earth. If I want to know what is going on in Syria, I can get the news from the countries involved, instead of just the approved version written for the American broadcast, and cable news channels. It can be a real eye opener when you see how the story differs between Al Jazeera and Fox news.

Pink rose in the rain

Yes, if one wants to learn, communicate, or simply recreate, there is nothing to compare to the virtually limitless cyber universe. What a time to be alive.

Today’s Articulate Video;


Finely Tuned Senses

No comments: