Saturday, June 20, 2009

It Almost Feels Like Summer

Friday Night

The night began with another grand sunset in Redding

Moon Makes Waves In Rings

Saturn's rings are affected by Daphnis. (photo-Cassini)

Daphnis, 8 kilometers ( 5 miles) across, occupies an inclined orbit within the 42-kilometer (26-mile) wide Keeler Gap in Saturn's outer A ring. Recent analyses by imaging scientists published in the Astronomical Journal illustrate how the moon's gravitational pull perturbs the orbits of the particles forming the gap's edge and sculpts the edge into waves having both horizontal and vertical components.

Memories Are Made Like This

The increase in green fluorescence represents the imaging of local translation at synapses during long-term synaptic plasticity. (Credit: Science)

I was going to write a condensed photo caption, but I couldn't top that sentence. "Green blobs are new memories forming", was the best I could come up with.

When a new memory
is formed new proteins are made locally at the synapse - the connection between nerve cells - increasing the strength of the synaptic connection and reinforcing the memory.

Want to know more? Click HERE.

A Brewery In Lake Shasta?


North Star Craft Brewery (Visit Site)

Just today, I found
out about the Noerth Star Craft Brewery, a place with live music and food, right up the road from me. I was looking through my email and there was a thing on there from MySpace, so I checked it out. It was a musician named Kyle Williams. He has figured out how to use MySpace to increase attendance at his gigs.

I checked out his site, and liked what I heard, so I went to see him, at this place I would not have known about, otherwise.


Kyle playing the Chinese folksong, "Tu Ning".

Kyle was accompanied by Jamie, on the bass. The sound was complete and enjoyable. You can check out Kyle's tour schedule, HERE, to see if he will be playing near you.

I was impressed by Kyle's determination and business sense. He managed to book himself a tour that logically goes from town to town. ( I have had reputable agencies book gigs for me that were 700 miles apart.) He recommends the curry chicken if you are eating at the North Star Craft Brewery. The patrons that I observed, seemed to be enjoying the brew, too.


T-shirts and CD's were for sale next to the tip jar.

Kyle Williams

Short clip of Kyle at North Star Craft Brewery

It was a very musical day for me. I listened to a bunch of different radio stations on iTunes, checked out a lot of different artists on You Tube, discussed Thursday's blues jam with John and Bill while they carved out violins at Johns Violin shop, and I found this fun song and video for...

Today's Relatively Appropriate Song;
Not Fair - Lilly Allen

Goodness

No comments: