Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Well, If You Look At It That Way

It's Not So Complicated

Sunset with crow, on last day of Spring. 6/20/09

I took many pictures of the sunset on the last day of spring. The clouds and colors were a perfect example of the beauty that enfolds me here in Redding. I made a slide show. Then I thought I would make a movie of the slide show, but I feel I have to write and record an appropriate song for this sunset-slide show, movie. I have a piece of music I wrote for a previous sunset, but I feel that this deserves it's own specific haunting melody. I await the muse.

Waiting At The Light

Mt. Shasta from N. Market and Lake Blvd. 6/23/09

Each time I come home from downtown Redding, if I use Market Street, I get to drive across the Sacramento river. Looking west, down the river, past the Sundial Bridge, I can generally see Mt. Lassen in the distance. How nice to have such a beautiful landscape as part of my surroundings. From the river, I drive up the hill on N. Market Street, and just before the crest, Mt. Shasta looms above the roadway. Once I get to the stoplight at Lake Blvd., Shasta has settled down behind the hills and mountains that hold the many arms of Lake Shasta. I love this place.

Putting Things Into Perspective

Looking 25,000 light years into the heart of our galaxy.

The Arches

Close up of the Arches. (ESO images)

There are more than 1000 young, giant stars in this cluster near the center of the Milky Way.

Take a VIDEO voyage into the Milky Way.

Avenue Of The Giants
.
A child in 1935 pokes out of Redwood knothole.

From the National Archives on You Tube

Watch Video

While I watched and listened to this film from the national archives, they repeatedly spoke about how our California redwood forests would be preserved forever. They clearly didn't foresee the day when Ronald Reagan would try to have them cut down for his lumber company friends. Reagan's answer to the peoples uproar, "If you've seen one redwood, you've seen them all".

The people of California managed to stop the stupidity and we only lost about 1/4 of the magnificent trees. (The, "Ketchup is a vegetable", dimwit was later made president by Karl Rove.)

Today's Relatively Appropriate Song;
This Land Is Your Land - Woody Guthrie

Thank God

No comments: