Thursday, June 25, 2009

Where Was I?

Counting Stars

This image looks into the heart of the Milky Way. (ESO)


A closer look at the image above. (image - ESO)


There sure are a lot of stars in this tiny section.

I saw the topmost picture in an article somewhere, (Science Digest, I think), and I knew it had come from the ESO website. They recently developed an amazing high speed, low light camera for earth based telescopes. I went to the ESO website, www.eso.org, and spent an enjoyable 30 minutes just moving around in the images.
IMAGE AT ESO

I am actually not sure how long I roamed the milky way and the night sky of the Chilean observatory because I have been having gaps in my short term memory. At first the things I forgot weren't particularly vexing, but Wednesday morning I was supposed to take a guy to the commodities distribution at 8:00 AM, like I have been doing every month for over a year. I began my day without even the vaguest notion that I was missing an appointment. I took a phone call at 9 from A. J., who let me know I was elected to another term as a board member of the Alano club. It didn't even cross my mind that I was supposed to have picked up a friend an hour earlier.

Just a blank. I went back to sleep and didn't get up until noon. It was when I was making coffee that I noticed the light blinking on the answering machine. When I listened to the message, I realized that I hadn't even had a hint from my mind that I was expected to be anywhere that morning.

I decided I really am going to mark the calendar, (and look at it), to keep track of things. Things like the board meeting on Sunday that I forgot about when we booked the band to play on Sunday. Oops! I have been having gaps in my short term memory. At first the things I forgot weren't particularly vexing....

Counting Blessings

Just a reminder of who is writing this. 6/24/09

Some things are coming together
at a comfortable and timely pace. I had been planning to wean myself off of Tramadol, (pain medication), just to see and feel exactly where I stand when it comes to sensible pain management. I have been using Tramadol daily for 3 years or so, and I wanted to know if this was producing any unknown, (to me), side effects. I already stopped taking ibuprofen a few weeks ago, so I started stopping the Tramadol, too. ( Could this have something to do with my memory loss?)

I found out Tuesday
that I will be getting my hernia repaired this coming Monday. Hooray.


Sightseeing

Sundial bridge, Trinity Alps, Sacramento river. 6/24/09


Standing on the edge of the bluff, looking west. 6/24/09


This picture begged to be taken. 6/24/09


How it would look in black and white. 6/24/09

The Eastman Kodak
Company stopped production of the color film that made color photography what it is today.

R. I. P. Kodachrome.


Todays Relatively Appropriate Song;
Kodachrome - Paul Simon

Remember

No comments: