Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Quantum Music

New Stars

Image of prolific star-forming region RCW 49 (Spitzer)

You can visit
the Spitzer site, HERE.

The Center of The Milky Way


See the detailed image, HERE.

I was listening
to some college radio stations on the internet today, and it reminded me of the end of my college days when I first moved to Houston.

Houston, 1964

Beautiful Houston, 1964.

I arrived in Houston with my brother Jerry, and my friend, Mike Bustillos. Mike had been playing guitar in my west Texas band, and wanted to come to Houston to try his luck.

I found this street view in Google Maps. Our street.

I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do. I was there because I was 19 and my parents moved there because the University of Houston wanted dad to be part of their chemistry department. I had been going to Sul Ross State College, and I figured I would continue at the University of Houston.

Mike found an ad
for a band needing a guitar player and wanted to check it out. I said I would drive him. While we were there, they asked me to play and sing a couple of songs. Mike didn’t get the gig, but I did. The band was to audition at a night club, and so I said sure.

Lovely Houston, 1964.

We played the audition and the lady in charge told me I was hired, but the band was not. She asked if I could put a band together to be her, “house band”, and I said, “Sure”. I didn’t how to do that, but I was 19 and just did stuff, so I put an ad in the paper for a drummer, bass, sax, and a Hammond B-3 player. The first to call was a drummer named, Bob Raines. He was amazed that I had simply put an ad in the paper for band members, but he was interested and he knew some musicians if the ad didn’t get me what I was looking for.

The band fell together with ease and the lady who ran the club had my name advertised as playing at her club, on busses, taxis, and newspapers all over Houston.

Just like that, I was a star.

In Houston.

Note the Isetta 300. Houston trench traffic jam, 1964.

Mike Bustillos went back
to Barstow, Texas, and the band he auditioned for, never spoke to me again. I signed up for a couple of college classes, but who needs college when you’ve got your own rhythm and blues band and all the benefits that come with it?

The Earth, Monday.

GOES - 14 satellite full-disk image of Earth. 7/27/09

From approximately 35,786 km (22,236 miles) in space, NOAA's newest Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite -- GOES-14 -- took its first full-disk visible image of the earth on July 27, 2009 at 2:00 p.m. EDT.

That concludes
today's space/time travel.

Today's Relatively Appropriate Song;
Time In A Bottle - Muppets


Life Is Good

No comments: