Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Ripples In Time

The Rock. A Little Bolder.

Image from the Kudzu underground newspaper 1968.

It never occurred to me that I was doing something historically important or even memorable. I just thought it would be better to play music I liked at a successful station than to play elevator music at a station that had lost money for 20 years and counting. When I put together a proposal to switch the station to progressive rock, I was confident that management would be attracted to the possibility of making a profit with their loser FM station, and it wasnt long before I was playing album cuts from the Stones, Doors, Beatles, Vanilla Fudge, Dr. John, and a host of artists one would never hear on top 40 radio. Oh yeah, we were the number 1 station from the moment we became WJDX-FM 102.9 Rock. It was fun.

Some of the people involved with the station, which later became WZZQ, have been forming an internet version to appeal to those listeners who miss our pioneering, freewheeling approach to presenting music that mattered. I have been invited to the party and I plan to be a part of this venture.

The station in 1968, was a place for me to express an intelligent opposition to bad behavior by those who should have known better, while introducing my listeners to some great music by real musicians, (Top 40 was mostly manufactured from mediocre product with mediocre results). It seems like nothing has changed except I can do my show from home, or anywhere. Stay tuned.

Be My Honey

Every marriage contract in ancient Egypt required the bridegroom to promise to supply his bride with honey throughout their marriage.



Some historians believe that the Fleur-de-lis is a stylized image of a bee.

I took this speed test to see what my actual download and upload rates were.

Speakeasy Speed Test

The image on left should be a link.

It was fast and simple.
I did it to participate in a survey of actual internet performance in the U.S.A.

We are 28th fastest in the world.

Using data gathered from Speed Matters, a site that promotes greater Internet speeds, the Communications Workers of America compiled a list of broadband speeds in U.S. states and territories, and came up with the average speed for the nation -- about 5 megabits per second. That's a quarter of South Korea's 20.4 Mbps, and about a third of Japan's 15.8 Mbps.

Star Making Machine

The massive star factory known as the Trifid Nebula was captured in all its glory with the Wide-Field Imager camera attached to the MPG/ESO 2.2-metre telescope at ESO's La Silla Observatory in northern Chile.

ScienceDaily (Aug. 26, 2009)
Smoldering several thousand light-years away in the constellation of Sagittarius (the Archer), the Trifid Nebula presents a compelling portrait of the early stages of a star’s life, from gestation to first light. The heat and “winds” of newly ignited, volatile stars stir the Trifid’s gas and dust-filled cauldron; in time, the dark tendrils of matter strewn throughout the area will themselves collapse and form new stars.

What an amazing universe we live in.

Today's Relatively Appropriate Song;
Stella By Starlight - Anita O'Day

Round And Round We Go

No comments: