Sunday, December 27, 2009

Prime Leftovers

I am not always sure
what will unfold when I begin to write in this blog. There were a lot of things that crossed my mind, today, that I felt I might want to read about in the future.


I am beginning to look like my dad.

Like my reaction
to the flaming pant cuff terrorist from Nigeria. I am not sure who or what was more inept, the bumbling bomber or the pointless security at airports. I wrote a comment in response to an article about this on Salon.com;

Saturday, December 26, 2009 12:16 PM

No one responded to his email

He was probably just angry because nobody fell for his Nigerian bank scheme.

But seriously folks, when are we going to stop putting security measures at the barn door after the horse is already gone?

Billions of dollars and pointless security measures didn't manage to prevent this whacko, (who was even on some BOL list), from getting on board and attempting to blow himself up.

I guess that Homeland Security has do do a bunch of saber rattling now to justify it's insanely bloated budget.


I enjoy this instant letter to the editor function of the internet. I used to have to wait for the next days paper, or the next months magazine to see my letter, then I would have to wait another day, week, or month to read the responses. Now I can stimulate and engage with other minds in real time. I like that.

Nano



Researchers showed the first
functional transistor made from a single molecule. The transistor, which has a benzene molecule attached to gold contacts, could behave just like a silicon transistor.

The team, which includes researchers from Yale University and the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology in South Korea, published their findings in the Dec. 24 issue of the journal Nature.

For about two decades — since Mark Reed, a professor of engineering and applied science at Yale, showed that individual molecules could be trapped between electrical contacts — researchers have been trying to create a functional molecular transistor.

Some of the challenges they have faced include being able to fabricate the electrical contacts on such small scales, identifying the molecules to use, and figuring out where to place them and how to connect them to the contacts.

I remember my first transistor radio. It sounded like crap. Even after all these years, they still haven't developed a small speaker that sounds good. I suppose if one wants big sound from a small device, todays answer is to wear ear buds. Or, maybe I should invent the "nano-sub-woofer".


Here in Redding we have rain today. This comes in handy to wash the rangifer tarandus excrement off the roof after Santa had his sleigh parked there. I hope your Christmas was merry and bright. Soon we begin another Gregorian new year and, for some of us, that means a clean slate. Time to be what you are yet to become, ( or at least give it a try ).

Liked The DVD

Today's Relatively Appropriate Song;

Star Trek - Trailer


Live Long And Prosper

No comments: