Saturday, May 29, 2010

More

Remembered

A birthday bouquet from the Treehouse Apts. for me.

Last week, the Treehouse apartments had a Mad Hatters Tea Party, (Not to be confused with the 'Mad Haters Tea Party' that Fox news created). They gave bouquets to the people who had birthdays in May. The flowers were from the beautiful gardens here at the Treehouse. I was one of the lucky recipients of a birthday bouquet.

Playing For Change


Sign Of The Times


Memorial Day

For 142 years
, Americans have taken the last Monday in May to remember those who have died in our wars. Like all deaths honored by the state, flags fly at half-staff. However, on Memorial Day, the U.S. flag only flies at half-staff for the first half of the day, and then is raised to full height from noon to sundown. This unique custom honors the war dead for the morning, and living veterans for the rest of the day. Complete article, HERE.

Where's My Nest?



"If a tree falls in the forest...?"

This saying
really demonstrates our human-centric view of the the world. The answer of course is, "Yes, the tree makes a sound that thousands of ears will hear, even if no human is there to hear it".

When Stuart, Sandi and I got back to their house after they treated me to birthday dinner on May 21st, they noticed that the wind had blown down a neighbors tree. I took a few pictures of the fallen tree, and while doing so, I noticed a California scrub jay sitting in the fallen branches, looking bewildered and confused. I took a couple of pictures of the bird at the time.

A few days later, I was looking at the pictures of the bird and a number of thoughts and impressions coalesced into the realization that this bird most likely had a nest in that tree. There are a pair of jays with a nest in the tree by my balcony that I have been watching for about a month so it's quite possible at this time of the year that the jay in the fallen tree, had just experienced a natural disaster and his home, (with eggs?), had been destroyed.


This got me to thinking about the other living creatures that were affected by this toppled tree. Other birds, insects, parasites, moss, molds, fungus, bacterium, and many more life forms had colonized that tree. The tree itself, was part of a vast family that were connected by their root system, mycelium, vibrations, and other means which we are not yet aware of. I hope the pair of Blue Jay's find a more secure tree next year.

The Band

Phil, John, Jeff, and Mark at the Blues Jam. 5/27/10

Sandi and Stuart
came to Lulu's on Thursday and Sandi took a few pictures of the band with Jeff, our new drummer. The pictures, and a couple of video clips of the band were just what I needed to get our new website started. You can check it out, HERE. It has a really neat calendar where I put our upcoming appearances, and a number of useful pages you can visit to see videos, pictures, band news, a guest book for you to sign, a contact page where you can email us, and even a forum where you can participate in discussions.

I think
the new site will be a lot of fun... http://thephilseymourband.webs.com (It does have commercials, but that is how they can offer these sites for free.)

My Bi-Annual Steak Dinner

5 Minutes Later

It was perfect. The potatoes were from Trader Joe's.

Part of my approach to nutrition is variety. I have a feeling that it's not really necessary to eat a bunch of different things each day, but instead I eat like the human species that survived for 3 million years; I eat what ever is on sale or given to me. That means that, other than organic cereal or eggs and potatoes for breakfast, I have no regular daily combination of foods. I might eat a steamed bag of chopped veggies and Nancy's yogurt for a couple of days, and maybe a prepared eggplant parmesan from Trader Joe's the next couple of days, followed by a TV dinner. In other words, a balanced meal over a week or two, interspersed with an occassional steak every 6 months.

I eat organic
food whenever possible. I no longer care much for chicken or pork, since those are most likely Monsanto Frankencorn in the shape of a chicken or pig, (I avoid corn fed beef, too).

The result
of this less regimented daily input is my feeling better healthwise than I can remember ever feeling before.

Thank you
Sandi for bringing me this grass fed, giant chunk of beef.

Today's Relatively Appropriate Song;

Eat It - Weird Al Yankovic



Choice

No comments: