Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Not Just In My Head

Hole In Space

The dark spot in the green dust cloud is empty.

Read all about it HERE


Runaway Star


More runaway star images, HERE.

ScienceDaily (May 11, 2010) — A heavy runaway star rushing away from a nearby stellar nursery at more than 400 000 kilometers per hour, a speed that would get you to the Moon and back in two hours. The runaway is the most extreme case of a very massive star that has been kicked out of its home by a group of even heftier siblings.

Hubble -
The only way the star could have been ejected from the star cluster where it was born is through a tussle with a rogue star that entered the binary system where the star lived, which ejected the star through a dynamical game of stellar pinball.

Eric Grohe

Muralist, Eric Grohe checking his work in progress.

I want to thank Al Wilsey for sending me an email with pictures of murals designed and painted by Eric Grohe. I am always amazed and delighted by great muralists and how they can transform flat walls into delightful illusions. You can visit the Eric Grohe website, HERE.

It's A Sticky Situation

See more geology.com oil spill images, HERE.

Here are a couple
of stories that presage the coming years of investigations into who is to blame for the gargantuan gulf oil disaster. Get used to seeing this stuff for a while as lawyers duke it out over every possible dollar to be made, paid, or lost as a result of this ecologically devastating event.

In search of the Gulf oil spill smoking gun

Oil industry execs testify under oath -- and point fingers at each other -- in front of scalp-hunting Senators

By Andrew Leonard



Fuel


Breakfast with book. 5/11/10

Today I ran out of library books, so I had a chance to revisit one of the paperbacks I have handy, just in case I am waiting somewhere.

Two of the books I returned to the library were particularly good. They were both from
Poisoned Pen Press
the independent publishing company specializes in mystery fiction.

Good Who-Done-It's


These books didn't spent much time on my nightstand.

I have read
Mad Dog and Englishmen mysteries before, and this was the best yet.

Once I was
into the Vicki Delany book, I recognized the characters from a previous book.

If you enjoy reading mystery stories, and I know I do, these two are hard to beat. Both authors create multidimensional, believable characters in both the good guys and bad. I look forward to future adventures from these authors.

Shasta Today

Always beautiful, mysterious, and magical. 5/11/10

When I was
driving back from the library, with a couple of new books to read, I could see that Shasta was glowing and radiant, caressed by wispy clouds, and definitely ready for a few snaps of the Lumix. I drove up to the dam and took a few, (only about 40 - 50), pictures from a couple of my favorite spots. I whittled the picture count down to 15. You can see them HERE if you like.

Happy To Be Here

Always glad to go to the lake.

The lake level
is about 3 feet from the dam crest. They wont be letting water fall over the spillway this year, according to lake officials. The water is all being run through the penstocks to the turbines for generating as much electricity as possible.

Today's Relatively Appropriate Song;

Across The Universe - Beatles


Life Is Good

No comments: