Saturday, June 19, 2010

There's No Place Like Home

We're Off, Too... See?

Watch out for torrential rainstorms.

I couldn't resist
. The resemblance to a character from the movie was too obvious. I am sure she is acting like she has a few loose screws, just so I could make this graphic. Thank you crazy governor lady.

It Was Too Oblique!


Thank you, L. Frank Baum.

New Version


More to the point?

Further explanation, HERE.


In Other News


These daisies in Dottie's garden caught my eye. 6/18/10

I stopped by John's violin shop and showed him some of the test shots I took.

The Viola


These were taken with just the light coming in from the window.



The different colors
of the cloth background influence the image sensors in the camera.


I am so glad to be doing this viola book project.

Gadzooks!

Nice glasses.

I got another
bunch of books from the library, yesterday. In that bunch of books was one that I had seen on the 'new books' shelf for a week or so. No one was checking it out. I figured that if I was thinking about that book not being read, that I was supposed to read it. I added it to my pile of books and brought it home. I am glad I did.

The author, Bill McKibben, had written a book 20 years ago about the greenhouse effect for the general populace who had somehow missed the previous 20 years of data and warnings about the level of CO2 in our earths atmosphere.

40 years ago, people knowingly chose industry over nature.

20 years ago
, the warnings went out again, but the industries persuaded people that global warming was a hoax.

Now, according to Bill McKibben, the Earth we knew 40 years ago no longer exists. The book documents the world of today and the permanent changes that have occurred in just the past few years. Changes like the loss of glaciers on our highest mountains, the continuous melting of the Arctic ice cap, the expanded tropics, and the extreme weather that is here to stay.

The book points out that we may never get back to the earth of the 50's and 60's, but if we all pitch in, we might be able to keep it from getting too much worse.

His website 350.org is an uplifting experience to visit. (350 is the number that leading scientists say is the safe upper limit for carbon dioxide—measured in "Parts Per Million" in our atmosphere. 350 PPM—it's the number humanity needs to get back to as soon as possible to avoid runaway climate change.)


I am encouraged by the numbers of influential people who are part of this organized effort to stop runaway climate change by reducing human caused CO2 emissions. Go HERE and see for yourself.

Just because
some of us can drive to Safeway and buy whatever we would like to eat and drink, does not mean there are no shortages of food and water in the rest of the world.

Todays Relatively Appropriate Song;




Cool It

No comments: