Saturday, November 23, 2013

Seems Like A Long Time

When Observed That Way

Shasta Bolly horizon glow

There were quite a few JFK assassination stories, movies, retrospectives, and where were you’s, for this 50 year anniversary of the murder of president Kennedy.

Driveway rose

In one sense of time, it seems short, like it is still as fresh as the milk in my refrigerator.

Our volcano neighbor to the north

On the other hand, I am reminded that though I may still feel like I did when I was 18, there are also the accumulated years of living that are the me who writes this now.

Friday night moon

There is so much more to discover, now that I am more aware of the world around me, as well as inside the being I think of as ‘me’, that I didn’t know existed 50 years ago. This, and the fact that I am still here, add to the joy of each additional moment I live.

Colorful driveway rose

We are not alone in this universe. There are billions of fascinating life forms from which we can learn how we fit in the great cosmic puzzle.

50 years ago, I had very little awareness of other living beings in this world. I never considered that ‘lesser’ animals were thinking, reasoning, intelligent, life forms that are just as important in the grand scheme as humans.

Another driveway rose

Most things that we think are exclusively ‘human’ traits, our ancestors learned from observing the life in the world they shared. Music, tools, art, family, societies, diet, weaving, and more, are things we copied from nature.

I didn’t have a clue.

Lightning in a jar

I am glad to have finally learned where I fit in the grand family of life on earth. Respect and awareness of the bigger picture teaches me humility, and grants me joyful wonder with every enlightening observation.

Now, when you are going about your daily life, try to figure out what, plant, animal, or geo-function, we learned that from. (By geo-function, I mean the basic elements of fire, water, earth, and air.) From what did our ancestors learn little things like greeting one another, or using doors, or eating with utensils?

I was taught that we, humans, invented everything, so I treated earth’s non human residents with thoughtless arrogance. Animals were for eating, pets, and beasts of burden. Insects should be eradicated, and some plants are to be cultivated, while others should be cut down, plowed under, sprayed with weed killer, etc.

It is hard to imagine that I could have been so ignorant and oblivious. This being that I call ‘me’ is happy to know that there is so much more to discover with each and every waking moment.

Today’s Video;


Peace

No comments: