Saturday, October 11, 2014

Respect For The World

Begins Close To Home

White Oleander 1.jpg
White Oleander at the fairgrounds

I was lost.
How could that be?

I had just been to the Tehama County Fairgrounds in Red Bluff to play for an event, “Thunder Rolls” that Stuart and Sandi Taylor were coordinating. Rocky Rossi brought a set of drums and joined me on a small stage at the covered picnic area.

So, “How did I miss the entrance and why am I on Trinity Avenue looking for the back way in?”, I asked myself. (That event I had just played was in 2008)

Tehama Fairgrounds.jpg
One of the livestock buildings on a pretty Saturday afternoon

“Well, you go past a road that doesn’t really look like a road, then turn on the next one that’s more like gravel, or just go on back to Antelope turn right and go in the main entrance”, said a nice lady who, along with her daughter had waved and smiled when I previously drove past them until I came to the conclusion that I was not headed for the fairgrounds, turned around, drove back and asked her where the fairgrounds were.

White Beaver.jpg
A white beaver perpetually chewing

I located the turn to the fairgrounds main entrance on Antelope Blvd and rolled up next to the front gate where there was a parking space in the shade. I asked a nice lady where the Sierra Club booth was located and she showed me on a map.

It was at the other end of the fairgrounds and I set out in that direction, looking for other activities in progress. After awhile, I came to the place where Rocky and I had played. There was a guy eating lunch at one of the picnic tables, but nothing going on there. I kept walking.

Owl in Pine.jpg
Owl in tree behind white beaver

Eventually I located the Sierra Club booth inside a large building that advertised bull riding events. The booth was at the far end. There was a very large doorway at that end of the building where people who had come in the back way parked their cars. (Now I knew why I had been driving around looking for the back way.)

I should have looked on Google Maps and it would have been quite clear. But then I would have missed the opportunity to get directions from the nice lady walking down Trinity Ave with her daughter. As it was, I arrived 30 minutes early anyway.

Booth iPhone.jpg
The Sierra Club booth at last

John Livingston said hello and introduced me to some of the other people at the booth. John had a display of his camping gear and a couple of his tents set up for interested parties to see. It was nice to see Dianna again and this time I managed to get her picture for the blog.

Diana W Commemorative Plaque.jpg
Dianna displays her commemorative plaque

There was a booth nearby where one could saw a slice of wood and brand it with the logo of the Wilderness Act 50th birthday. Dianna held up her freshly minted memento that she had just sawed off and branded. She is a fountain of information and historical anecdotes regarding Sierra Club activities and radiates with inner happiness.

John Kelly Diana.jpg
John, Kelly and Dianna

I am glad I volunteered to be another body at the booth. Some of you know that I have been a Sierra Club member for some time. Though I no longer take part in the outdoor adventures, I am happy to participate as an activist for conservation and reclamation.

Next Saturday they will be at the Salmon Festival. If I have any energy left after the Phil Seymour Band plays Friday night at the Post Office Saloon and Grill, I will go lend a hand or at least take a few pictures. I kid myself.

Should you wish to go, The Coleman Fish Hatchery Salmon Festival is from 9am to 4pm.

Today’s Video;


Have Some Fun

No comments: