Sunday, October 5, 2008

Brotherly Love, Across Space and Time

Competition

This past summer I posted photographs of the nice 100+ degree temperatures here in Redding.
My brother Jerry, over in Iraq, sent me an e-mail today.
It had these two pictures worth a thousand words;

Me in Redding

My brother Jerry in Iraq

Close up of temperature in Iraq
I added the close up and the captions, but the original e-mail was just the two pictures. Perfect.

Whether we are aware of it, or not, competition is the American way.
Edgar Winter wrote a song about it, but I couldn't find it on You Tube.

From the day we are born, we are compared, weighed, and examined to see how we measure up. We learn games to hone our competitive skills. Musical chairs, hopscotch, and footraces teach us to beat the other person. Then we learn games where we choose up sides. When I was little, we played Confederates and Yankee's, Cowboys and Indians, and sports where we were put on teams and, "fought", each other to determine the winner.

Competition wasn't just encouraged, it was mandatory. I enjoyed the games, but I don't remember feeling the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat. I do recall being upset when someone would win by cheating.

Jerry likes winning. It makes him happy. I have always looked up to my brother and have been proud of his accomplishments. He is a very good golfer. We learned to golf together when we lived in Alpine, Texas. I could knock the ball around the course before, but it was there and then, with not much else to do in that little college town, I had some great times whacking the ball around the Alpine Golf Course. It even had greens made of grass. Over in Marfa, they had sand greens.

An old golf pro from Rochester, New York, would winter in Alpine. He took the time to show Jerry and his little brother, (Me), how to play golf like the masters. He recommended the book, "On Playing Golf", by Percy Boomer. Jerry read it and applied what he learned to his game.

It is too physically painful for me to golf, ski, swim, or even ride a bicycle anymore, but I had a lot of fun when I did. I am glad Jerry can still be my big brother and win the temperature event. He's my brother and I love him.

For five years he has been helping to re-build Iraq. I am very proud of him and I am sure he is the best at what he does.

The Adventures of Bat Girl

Bat Girl at Kevin Costners 1800 Town movie set
"You ought to be on the stage...
the next one leaves in 5 minutes."


Filming the laser show at Crazy Horse

"Stay tuned for my next exciting installment."
Stargazing

The Orion nebula
This year is considered to be the 400th anniversary of the telescope. The above picture was taken by someone with a home telescope. What wonders we are able to observe and share.

I put this picture in here because Orion is my favorite constellation. It is good to know that around the world, people can see this in the sky and share the sense of wonder. This brings me to Scotland, where Papa Paul Thomas lives.


A bright, bonny day in Scotland, Sunday.
Paul has added parts to yet another song we are creating across the world with e-mail and MP3 technology. To listen to some of what we have been doing with our Global Music Project, you can click HERE for Paul's music page, or HERE for mine. One of these days I will figure out how to put a music player on this page, but for now, the link works.

Jumpin' Jupiter


Sharpest view ever of Jupiter from earth
Captured using a 27-foot telescope in Chile.

Today's Relatively Appropriate Song;
Midnight At The Oasis
Maria Muldaur
Warm Feelings

No comments: