Saturday, October 11, 2008

Picnic, Pumpkins, and Peanuts

Saturday in the Park
Saturday in the Park
-Chicago


Strolling Minstrel, Happy Phil 10/11/08

It was a good day for The United Bikers of Northern California. There was a Poker Hand, Raffle, Picnic to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis.

I played for, and met, some very nice, caring people.

I got there early so I got a good parking space.
There were about 50 motorcycles and nearly 100 people for the food, the hi-Lo poker hand, and the raffle.

I met a woman named Valerie who has a trophy and awards store. I told her that I wished I had known her 2 or 3 years ago when we were trying to get a plaque for Chrissys bench. Maybe we still need to get one, I had better check.
I liked the one she crafted for, "Rusted Busted Bob", on the table Stu made.

The memorial table Stu made

The train runs over the park where I played, but there were no trains going over during the picnic. I sort of wanted to get a picture with the train.
I can hear them crossing the river at night from my place.

Train bridge across Sacramento River
Caldwell park is to the left on the other side of the river.

Giant Exploding Pumpkins

The last of 5 pumpkins. The other 4 exploded.

All Things Considered, October 10, 2008 · Armand Michaud was tending his pumpkin patch when he heard something eerie.

"I heard like a pfffff, and I looked around, and I thought 'What the heck is that?'" he says. Then he saw a 2-foot crack in one of his giant pumpkins.

"I could put my arm right up in it," he says.

Michaud had just witnessed a bizarre phenomenon plaguing New England — exploding giant pumpkins.


Night Time Temps Rising


The Alpine Chipmunk moved 2,000 ft. up the mountain
I hadn't considered night time temperatures when researching Global Warming, until I read this from Scientific American.

Pioneering ecologist Joseph Grinnell in 1914 began a seven year survey of the animals living in Yosemite National Park in California. Even then, human impacts such as the transformation of the Central Valley into an agricultural oasis were changing the landscape and the animals who lived there.

Nearly a century later, one cause for the transformation of California wildlife has come to overshadow all others: global warming. Now scientists have found that a rise of 6.7 degrees Fahrenheit (3.7 degrees Celsius) in average nighttime low temperatures (since 1920 when Grinnell concluded his research) is causing mammals in Yosemite to get a move on.

Speaking of chipmunks...

Chip "N" Dale
Whatch Chip "N" Dale, with Donald Duck in this Cartoon,

Working For Peanuts


Kindness

No comments: