Saturday, July 24, 2010

Things Are Looking Up

Fullerenes In Space

Illustration from the Discover article.

What a treat to find this article at DiscoverMagazine.

"Looking at a planetary nebula 6,500 light years away, scientists recognized an old friend: the buckyball. The large, soccer ball-shaped molecule–made from bonding 60 carbon atoms together–was first seen in a lab in 1985. In a paper published today in Science, scientists confirm the first known extraterrestrial existence of the rare carbon balls."

Some of you regular readers are already quite familiar with my attraction and interest in all things nano, but for the benefit of new readers, and a refresher for the rest of us, I have been researching and reporting on nanotubes, buckyballs, and fullerenes for sometime now. I think they are one of the solutions to reducing CO2 emissions at factories and power plants. Just type fullerenes in the blog search box and it will dig up a bunch of posts where fullerenes, nanotubes, and buckyballs have been examined.

Photogenic Day

The fountain at Cypress and Market. 7/24/10

On my way to the library, I noticed how nice the fountain at the Market, Pine, and Cypress intersection looked. I stopped to take a few pictures on my way back from the library. It was after I had taken a few shots that I realized there was a bird at the fountain having a drink of water. I tried to get a closeup of the bird, but I hadn't eaten for a few hours and I was too shaky to get the camera to focus when I zoomed in on the bird. I must have taken 20 or 30 pictures of the bird and not one of the closeups were usable.


The bird is on top of the waterfall stretching it's neck in this shot. 7/24/10

The bird
was a real ham and made itself into a variety of sizes and shapes while I snapped picture after out of focus picture. I decided that in the future, I would try to remember to eat more often, and to start bringing a tripod.


Crepe myrtles growing next to the fountain. 7/24/10

What Is It?

The mystery bug has been identified.
Scutigera coleoptrata

I found a bunch of sites through a Google search that are very helpful when it comes to identifying bugs. It seems that the bug in question is the House Centipede, and I probably could have left it to roam the house in search of spiders and other pests instead of putting it outside where it likely became bird food.

To The Lake


At one of the turn offs where I photograph Shasta. 7/24/10

I took a tripod
and went up to lake Shasta to see if it would light up through the haze during the sunset.


Ski boats and fisherman share the cool water of the lake. 7/24/10


From the Shasta dam view point. 7/24/10


I read between shots of the sunset on the mountain. 7/23/10

Getting just the right picture of Shasta in the setting sun can take some time. I find it handy to have a book to read between shots. In this case it was 'Proof" by Dick Francis. I take a few pictures, sit and read for a few minutes, then take some more pictures. (Repeat and rinse.)

Once the ligh
t became too dim for the capabilities of the camera, I returned to my previous place above the lake and the sun and mountain combined to give me the image I came for.


The image that I came to capture. 7/24/10

I Follow The Moon Home

Tonights moon as seen from the Treehouse parking lot. 7/24/10

That was my day, and I hope you enjoy the pictures in the new template for my blog. For those of you who receive the email version, the difference isn't very dramatic, because the design and format gets skewed so it can work as email. (You can go to the real site, HERE, to ooh and ah at the new look.)

Today's Relatively Appropriate Song;



Steady Now

No comments: