Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Now Showing

Shooting Stars

Graphic from discovery.com.

Tonight and tomorrow night should be the best time to watch the northeastern sky to see the meteor showers. You can read the article from discovery.com, HERE.

There is a site called Meteorwatch where you can share your exciting sky watching experiences with other meteor watchers around the world, HERE.

If It Had Been Clearer

Playing with my toys, again.

I went outside
last night for a look, but the haze was too thick and brightly lit by the lights around town to see anything distinct. I will try again tonight.



I went to get my hair cut by my favorite Vietnamese barber, in Redding, today. I told him about the Perseid meteor showers. We spent the entire haircut trying to translate the difference between comets, ("In my country, it means bad luck if the 'flumes' point this way"), and meteors, ("Oh! You mean shooting stars."), and I explained that if he could find a dark place to look to the northeast, he might see 40 or 50 in an hours time. Our discussion was very illuminating, and I like the way he cuts my hair.

The best time to see the shower is between midnight and sunrise. This works out for him because he is an early riser. It works out for me, too, because I stay up late.

Pick a time that works for you and watch the show, if you can.

How To Watch
From How To Watch the Perseid Meteor Shower

Here is a WikiHow site called "How to watch the Perseid meteor shower". It includes a video instructions, too.

Today's Relatively Appropriate Song;




Gifts From The Heavens

No comments: