Saturday, May 16, 2015

First One I HAve Seen This Year

That Is Disturbing

Monarch.jpg
Lone Monarch

The annual migration of monarch butterflies is a wonder of nature. They follow the seasons, moving from Canada to Mexico and back each year. Since 1990, the monarch population has been reduced by more than 1,000,000 butterflies. Much of that is attributed to the misguided eradication of milkweed along their migration route.

Tangerine No Rust.jpg
Tangerine rose

Monarchs can produce four generations during one summer. The first three generations will have life spans from 2 - 6 weeks and will continue moving north. During this time they will mate and have the next generation that will continue the northward migration.

The fourth generation is different and can live up to nine months. These are the butterflies that will migrate south for winter to either Mexico or southern California. Basic Facts

Mt Shasta Peak.jpg
Friday eve view from the Treehouse

In their larval stage monarch caterpillars feed almost exclusively on milkweed and as adults get their nutrients from the nectar of flowers. The monarch will always return to areas rich in milkweed to lay their eggs upon the plant. Basic Facts

I See You.jpg
Clydesdale in town for the rodeo

Yesterday I was at the Sundial Bridge taking pictures as I do regularly. As i came back to the Hyundai in the parking lot, I noticed that a stable had been assembled on one side of the lot. It was for the Budweiser wagon pulling Clydesdales and their dalmatian.

Maternity Ward.jpg
Does she look pregnant?

While at the bridge I watched an egret feeding along the shoreline. There were lots of people enjoying Turtle Bay and the Sundial Bridge.

Egret 3.jpg
Egret along the Sacramento river

Today, Saturday, was another great day in Redding. It began with me spotting and getting a few pictures of a Monarch butterfly visiting the Treehouse on it’s way to Canada.

I also had good fortune at yard sales and a trip to the dam where I found a spot on the Dam road to sing with a full voice and play guitar. Out of respect for my Treehouse neighbors, I don’t sing at performance levels while in my apartment.

Shasta in the clouds.jpg
The lake and the cloudy view of Shasta was spectacular

Today’s Video;


Being Thoughtful

No comments: