Saturday, April 10, 2010

A Fine Day

Mt. Shasta

Mount Shasta as seen from Shasta Dam. 4/6/10

Today, I went to see Shasta up close.

It would be the first time I could try out the Lumix TZ1 right in Mount Shasta City.

Redding Morning Start

A Magnolia blossom in Redding. 4/10/10

I warmed up the camera with a few Redding morning pictures.


A blossom reaches toward the cloudy sky. 4/10/10

By 11:00 AM, I was driving the Buick up I-5 and past Shasta Lake. A look at the sky let me know that it might not be a good day for pictures of the mountain top. There were clouds layered at about 5,000 feet, and above them, more clouds around 7,500 feet. Mount Shasta is over 14,000 feet high, and just before Dunsmuir, where there is a good view of the mountain, it was obvious that the mountain above 5,000 feet would remain obscured by the cloud cover.

Downtown Mount Shasta

Downtown Mount Shasta. 4/10/10

The 30% chance of rain happened while I was in the town of Mount Shasta. I didn't mind. I was glad that I would be returning to Redding today. Sunday, there is an 80% chance of snow.


Village Books. 4/10/10

I stopped into Village Books to have a cookie and check my email. I was there last year, and liked the feel of the place. I was glad I stopped. The people there were very nice. I told them I would see them again, next year, and I headed home.

Back In Redding

Iris by the Treehouse Apartments office. 4/10/10

I was glad to get back to Redding without encountering snow. I don't have chains for the car, and I prefer to stay off of I-5 between here and Weed, when there is snow. Typically there is a multi-vehicle pileup that closes I-5, and one can be stuck in the cold and snow for hours, whether the car has chains or not.


Iris behind 'A' building.

I am so happy to live in the midst of all this beauty.

Volcanoes,
lakes, rivers, mountains, and valleys that sing the songs of life.

Speaking of music, John has been creating a series of violins that are incredibly beautiful to see, to touch, to play, and to hear. I am not a violinist, but I have seen the look on the faces of violin players who have played on these new instruments. John has explained to me how a violin should draw the finest sounds from the player, rather than the violinist having to dig in and force them out of the violin. I hope to clarify this information in the e-book about the viola that John is making. I expect it will be very effective when one can read the text, see the pictures, hear John explain, and listen while watching the viola being played, all on the same page.


Another coat of varnish on the newest violin. 4/9/10

The viola is the silhouette in the window behind the violin. John exposes the wood to the full spectrum, ultra violet light from the sun, prior to applying varnish.

Because I was up north today, next to the volcano, I thought that 'On Top Of Old Smokey' would be a clever song for today, but then I listened to the lyrics. Man! Who ever thought that was a great song to sing around the campfire? What a downer. So instead, I chose the less depressing version.

Today's Relatively Appropriate Song;

On Top Of Spaghetti




Beauty All Around

No comments: