Tuesday, April 13, 2010

In A Word

Wow!

This image shows a dark cloud 1000 light-years away in the constellation Aquila, the Eagle. It covers an area 65 light-years across and is so shrouded in dust that no previous infrared satellite has been able to see into it. Now, thanks to Herschel’s superior sensitivity at the longest wavelengths of infrared, astronomers have their first picture of the interior of this cloud.



The Rosette Nebula
resides some 5,000 light years from Earth and is associated with a larger cloud that contains enough dust and gas to make the equivalent of 10,000 Sun-like stars. The Herschel image shows half of the nebula and most of the Rosette cloud. The massive stars powering the nebula lie to the right of the image but are invisible at these wavelengths. Each color represents a different temperature of dust, from –263ºC (only 10ºC above absolute zero) in the red emission to –233ºC in the blue. The bright smudges are dusty cocoons hiding massive protostars. These will eventually become stars containing around ten times the mass of the Sun. The small spots near the center and in the redder regions of the image are lower mass protostars, similar in mass to the Sun.

See more images from the Herschel, HERE.

Naples


Look...Mount Vesuvius and the Isle of Capri.



Herschel Movie, HERE.

TV Weather People Divided On Global Warming

One reason that some of the TV weather people might have the opinion that human activity is not affecting the planet, is that they are employed by corporations that are identified as the greatest contributors of CO2 emissions, (coal and petroleum industries).


Today's storm moves to the northeast. 4/13/10

One report describes the difference between the meteorologists and climate scientists as;

"Climate scientists have a much broader perspective than meteorologists. They are the experts in the long-term weather history of the globe, studying ice core samples from lifetimes ago and data from tree rings, gathering global temperature data, and creating computer models that predict what the overall climate will be like hundreds or thousands of years from now.

Everything is looked at
through this different lens; climate scientists analyze how these large-scale factors might influence the larger picture of the weather, such as how warmer ocean temperatures might result in more -- and more intense -- hurricanes, rather than looking at the small-scale factors of a given season."


Yours truly. 4/13/10

You Betcha
Someone was wondering, the other day, why Sara Palin quit her governors job. I suggested that her manager told her that she had to cash in on her new found fame before it fades. Today I read that since she quit as governor, Sara Palin has been paid more than $12 million -- 100 times her $125,000 annual salary in the governor's office in Juneau.
Now, that's a good manager.

Fun

I took this with the Sanyo T1060. 4/13/10

We had a resident's meeting today. Prizes were given to the 2 people who guessed the latest Treehouse riddle. One of the prizes in Dorothy's bag of goodies, was a kaleidoscope. I had the Sanyo camera with me, because I had the Mackbook bag with me, so I took a couple of pictures through the toy, just for fun.


Iris in Dorthy's garden behind 'A' building, today. 4/13/10

I had the Macbook with me so I could show Dorothy some of the latest pictures I had taken of her beautiful flowers. I was pleased to see that there was WiFi in the Treehouse dining room. I was able to share lot's of stuff that I have on the internet.

Later in the day,
I was back in the dining room showing Erma a couple of my websites, and I thought I would check to see the name of this WiFi "Hotspot". I looked on the list, and the hotspot was my own wireless router, beaming from my apartment! I had no idea it was that powerful of a signal. Right on, Netgear.

Today's Relatively Appropriate Song;
Cool Water - Sons Of The Pioneers



I Love This World

No comments: