Monday, November 21, 2011

Comments

And Common Sense



I started to write letters to the editor when I was around 14 years old. I would be motivated to agree, disagree, or pose a question when I would read an article, or opinion on a topic about which I was concerned, or had some personal experience to add to the story.



With the advent of the internet, people can post their opinions, anecdotes, and, (occasionally), wisdom in the comment section, at the end of stories and articles.

I like this feature. I take to it like a fish to water. I am a regular commenter on Scientific American, the Christian Science Monitor, the New York Times, the Washington Post, Wired Magazine, and our own local Redding Record Searchlight site, Redding.com.



There is a certain satisfaction that I get when I can respond, in writing, my feelings and/or suggestions concerning a topic that I just read.

This feeling is amplified when I can respond immediately and join in a discussion with others who are interested in the subject too.



Many of the people exhibit intelligence and common sense and some knowledge of the subject in their responses.

There are some whose responses are simply parroting something they heard on Rush Limbaugh, or Fox news, earlier that day.

This becomes obvious when the same set of words shows up from several different people.

They hear a talking point that resonates with the way they feel and simply repeat it on the comments section. It doesn’t really matter if it has anything to do with the subject at hand they just feel the need to repeat what they heard.

This makes them feel good, too. I think the comment section is just grand.



I took these pictures that you see here today down by the rodeo grounds. The colors were just so vibrant I couldn’t resist.

Fall is in the air and the mountains are getting snow and life is good here in Redding.

Today’s relatively appropriate song;




Getting Along

No comments: