Saturday, November 26, 2011

Seeing The Signs

All around me

My friend Michael Dillon, dropped by last night. It was good to see him, he had been out on the road discovering America and discovering himself in the process. We talked about many things, and one of the things we talked about was, “What would a sign have to be, to convince us that God is taking an active interest in our lives?”.

We spoke of the signs that accompany great changes in our circumstances and the world as we see it.

How can we know the signs are real?

It doesn’t really matter in the overall scheme of things in this big, wide, world that we live in, whether we feel the signs are real or not.

Happiness can be found in accepting that they are real, and there for us to notice. It’s similar to looking at a cloud and seeing a puppy, or just a cloud. It will be a cloud either way, but it’s more memorable to see a puppy in the sky.



I feel that the signs are there all the time and it’s up to us to notice them. In other words, once I accepted that there are signs in my life that help direct me towards the higher path, I began to see that they are all around me.



Today, when I went out to start the Buick, the battery was too low to make it go.



I accepted that to be a sign. Sure I knew the battery was low after driving in the the rain, using the windshield wipers and headlights the same time for three or four days in a row, but I took it to mean that my time would be better spent right here at home.



Of course this sign wasn’t a life and death directive, but it’s my observation that not all signs are there just for dire circumstances. Sometimes it’s as simple as, “The light is shining on these flowers, take some pictures, you will be glad you did”.




I didn’t have to stay home. Some of my neighbors would have been happy to give me a jump start. But I considered this to be a sign and I think that was a really good choice, considering the quality of these pictures.


I haven’t decided about tomorrow yet. But then again that’s tomorrow and I don’t have to decide tonight. These are the kind of things that I’m learning as I get older and don’t feel compelled to constantly have to go somewhere. I’m right where I belong.






Yesterday, just before sunset, the clouds that had obscured Mt Lassen, dissipated and the sun shown on the snow. One of my new neighbors saw me pointing the Lumix and observed that the fall colors in the leaves were beautiful. I agreed, and added that I was using them as a frame for pictures of Mt Lassen. I think she will ‘get the picture’ when she sees this image;



Thursday, some of us residents had a ‘family’ Thanksgiving in the Treehouse dining room. Peggy Richardson and I provided some music while the Turkey finished being roasted. It was a good thing we did. The Turkey didn’t get finished on schedule, so we entertained for a couple of hours to keep the natives from getting restless.

Peggy suggested a Scrabble game to pass the time after we ran out of songs we had worked out, so the hungry neighbors stayed busy while I packed up the music stuff.


Hungry ‘natives’ await the feast.

The turkey was judged to be ready to eat just in time to prevent an uprising, and everyone enjoyed their favorite thanksgiving delicacies.

Today’s Relatively Appropriate Song;




The Only Planet We’ve Got

No comments: