Saturday, October 26, 2013

How To Fix Pages 5.0

Replace It With Pages 4.3

Just before sunset

After a sufficient amount of ranting, letters to Apple, and puzzlement at such a knuckleheaded remake of the best designed, ‘graphics to print’, application ever made, I realized that I had the perfect tool to undo the damage.

Another driveway rose in setting sunlight

Time Machine. One of Steve Jobs fine visions is still intact, at least in the version that I use; It is an easy to navigate backup system that still operates with Apple ‘magic’.

I took a trip back in time, to October 17th, and clicked on the ‘friendly’ Pages icon I have enjoyed seeing for the past 4 years.

Opening soon

Time Machine offered to replace the austere, baby poop colored, new icon with the robust, fully featured, Pages 4.3 program, and it’s well designed, ink blue icon.

I accepted, gladly.


In less that 2 minutes, the real Pages program was restored to the MacBook Pro. The stripped down, artless, Tim Cook insult, was banished to the trashcan where it belongs, (If there were a virtual dung heap, I would have sent it there).

Mount Lassen this evening

I opened up Pages 4.3 and produced a new greeting card from one of the pictures I had been playing with in FX Photo Studio, just to make sure the older version would work in the new Mavericks operating system. No problem.

Made printer ready in Pages

I guess the new guys thought that Pages was just another document program, and if you want something more, you just drop a picture or two on one of the dozens of prepared Templates, type your information in the appropriate box, and you have a flyer, newsletter, letterhead, or birthday card.

So, they got rid of the tools that graphic designers use and simplified the program to be the same as the economy class version of Pages that runs on iPhones and iPads. Good for teenagers and baby picture albums, bad for artists.

Thankfully, the real Pages will run on Mavericks.

Down at the east end of the driveway

I went to John’s shop, yesterday, to see how the new viola, and violins are progressing. He had just carved the feet of the viola bridge so they would fit properly on the arch of the top.

Viola corpus and unfinished bridge

When I stopped by today, he was already well into carving the scroll. He will finish shaping and carving the bridge when he gets ready to string up the viola.

I brought my guitar and a new set of strings with me to the shop. John prefers stringing my guitar, rather than see the messy results of my stringing method. They stay in tune better when John puts them on, too.

A closer look at the F holes

We rehearsed, and made small changes to the arrangements on some of our new songs. My guitar sounded really good with fresh strings.

This Sunday, The Phil Seymour Band will be the first of 3 bands playing for the Jefferson State Blues Society at the Moose Lodge on Lake Blvd. We start at 5PM, followed by the Blues Rollers, and then our drummer, Mike Brown, plays with his band.

Another driveway/sunset rose

The piano player for the Blues Rollers, Bill, will likely play first with us.

Bass player Mike Rader, will be playing with me, then later with Mike Brown

After playing with me, John will play guitar later in Mike’s band.

After singing and playing in my band, I will go home and eat dinner.

Today’s Video;


Musical Musician Chairs

No comments: