Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Winter

Still Beginning
Photo of lunar eclipse in the Arctic circle. Credit - Francis Anderson

This image
was on the Phil Plait, Bad Astronomy blog. Now on Discovermagazine.

The Sun Stands Still
(solstice literally means "Sun stops/stands still")
These squirrels were in the background of today's rose pictures. 12/22/10

Winter began officially at 3:38 p.m. Tuesday, when the sun shone directly overhead at the Tropic of Capricorn in the Southern Hemisphere.
Northern Hemisphere days will get longer from now on — but not right away, thanks to Earth’s elliptical orbit. Daylight hours in Redding won’t change until Monday, which will be one minute longer than Sunday. (from Scott Mobley )

Then And Now

I look healthier and happier than I did three years ago. 12/21/07 and 12/22/10

I found a picture
taken when I first moved into the Treehouse Senior Apartments 3 years ago. I couldn't resist taking one today to see if all this happy, healthy living shows. I suppose I could have used a flash and worn the same clothes, but I didn't. Maybe next year.

Glistening In A Muted Sunbeam
The clouds began parting today. 12/22/10

It seemed that there were things that needed doing inside, whenever I noticed the sun peeking through the clouds outside, today. I did get out for a couple of minutes, just before the bug guy showed up to spritz in the apartment, and got two nice rose pictures. The rest of the day was busy with worthwhile endeavors, and I like that. Tomorrow I will get up early and see what the morning brings to the lens of the Lumix TZ1.

Tightly Wrapped Survivor

The roses along the driveway are tough beauties. 12/22/10

Today's Relatively Appropriate Song;




The Joy Of Song

No comments: