Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Lucky To Be Alive

And Happy About It



Once again, I get to start my day with a bowl of organic cereal and fresh fruit, and for that I am  grateful. I am grateful that I have food to eat, kept fresh in a refrigerator to preserve as much of it’s nutritional benefits, and that organic and natural foods are readily available.



I am grateful that I live in an area that has hydro and wind powered power generation, so that I can feel like I am not thoughtlessly using up future peoples resources.



I am grateful that I am allowed to enjoy and photograph all the splendid, colorful, and interesting flowers that grow within my sphere of awareness. I even have the perfect camera for me to take the pictures with. I have much to be happy about.


Can you see the ants, and identify this plant?

Some of the people with whom I chat a minute or two each day, express their fears and exasperation with the government doing, (or not doing), something or another, and they ask my opinion. I ask them if they have been watching cable news, (easy guess), and suggest that they tune in to something more pleasant than programs that are designed to get people all stirred up.



I explain that Fox news, and the others like them, are treating elections and government business like a game show, and it is important to keep the pot boiling or people will change the channel.



It is good to stay informed, but one is not likely to get a comprehensive overview from the likes of cable news. If one must get news from the TV, it’s more informative to watch BBC, PBS, and ones favorite local stations.



I am grateful that I have a computer and internet. This allows me to read several newspapers, magazines, blogs, and reports from around the world each day.



There are programs that one can use to present all the sources of news and current events that suit ones taste. They are sometimes referred to as, “Readers”. Some are free, like Google reader, and I have selected sites, sources, and things of interest to me that are all there in one spot.



The topics, headlines, and a brief synopsis of the stories are displayed in ways that allow me to scan a large amount of information at a glance. If I wish to know more, I just open that story of interest and read until I am satisfied. I am so lucky to be living in this time when so much wonderful information is at my fingertips.



I went outside and walked around the Treehouse this afternoon to capture all these fascinating images of colorful plant life. It sure beats watching bloviators and bimbos
relentlessly disrespecting the our president.



So, if you find yourself getting anxious about the budget battles, or fear that Pancho Villa is bringing his army to take away your jobs as lettuce pickers, or the government might regulate derivatives, and you think that CFL’s are gonna kill you, you really need to change the channel.



I am happy that I don’t have cable TV, don’t listen to talk radio, and only read the National Review after I have fully digested meals. I am grateful that I have this little flyspeck in the blogosphere, and that you take the time to read it and enjoy the images of natures wonders that I am able to share with you.

Today’s Relatively Appropriate Song;





Still Learning

No comments: