Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Band Played On

At Gray Pine Farm



We had fun, and so did the people who saw, and heard us play. I am hoping that I will find some pictures of us playing, but in the meantime I took a few pictures while we were setting up, so I stuck me in one of them.

Gray Pine Farm is a beautiful venue and I look forward to playing there again. I noticed that to one side of the stage there is a Heavy Metal Mariachi band, so I took their picture.



The next time I see someone from Gray Pine Farm, I will ask who the sculptor was who created the Heavy Metal Mariachis. Maybe he, or she, will like my interpretive image.



I was able to take a few pictures of Kenji Kato and his band, Brown Shoe. They entertained the rib dinner diners with some nice jazz covers of Chick Corea, and Herbie Hancock. Kenji left his drums set up for our drummer to play when we performed later.



I took a couple of pictures on the drive to Oak Run. A lot of the drive reminded me of upper Carmel Valley with oak trees and pasture along the way.



It was a pretty day for a country drive to the event. I had hoped to take some pictures on the way back, but I didn’t see a good place to pull over where I could capture the star filled sky over the lights of Redding. You will just have to take my word that it was magically spectacular.


Is Illiteracy To Blame?



People that watch Fox news and constantly listen to talk radio rather than read reports, or books, newspapers and magazines, tend to be the ones who support the Tea Party and blame everything on Obama and the Democrats.

The people I know that are libertarian, and or, subscribe to conspiracy theories, and are willing to take the word of someone on You Tube, rather than reading any background information, or scientific analysis, feel compelled to send me links to YouTube videos, or forward unsubstantiated email claims.

I hope one day to figure out a way to inspire the information-ally challenged to read beyond the headline and the catchy title of a video, and actually learn some facts before repeating the misinformation.



It’s not necessary for me to specify any particular incident or foolish denial craze, because if you are reading this, you already know what I am referring to.

My current action, when a friend sends me an email that is clearly erroneous, is to write a civil correction, accompanied by verified source material and links. If I get a response that is loaded with right wing talking points, I just figure that person prefers to remain ignorant, and I cease to correspond on that subject.



The pictures on today’s blog have all been taken with the Panasonic Lumix TZ3, and unless otherwise specified, are taken in and around the Treehouse Senior Apartments.

We still have a lot of colorful blooms to enjoy before the sizzling summer sun turns them to dust. Even then, I find beauty in their forms and bleached colors.



Today’s relatively Appropriate Song;




Cool Blue Water

No comments: