Sunday, December 9, 2012

Loose Ends

Gathered Together




Today, (December 8), was my sister and brothers’ birthday.



Sue, (my sister), reminded me that she and Jerry used to get their birthday off during the years they went to Catholic School. She wondered why the Feast of the Immaculate Conception isn’t celebrated like it used to be?



Most of the religious stuff I was taught, seems a bit far fetched when examined in the light of day, although it seems to have effectively controlled the masses for centuries. Even today, many people feel the need for some hocus pocus between them and God.



While we were on the phone today, my sister told me that I was once arrested in Florida for publicly preaching that God is everywhere, in everything and everyone. I don’t remember being in a Florida jail.

I do remember feeling the need to ‘spread the word’ for a few years, and I did a lot of traveling at the time, so it is possible.



If I did get in trouble, it must have been for breaking a preaching in public law because the message seems uplifting and benign to me. I still feel that way.



Jon Stewart said something interesting on his show the other day about the 12 days of Christmas. I had forgotten that the 12 days start on the 25th and end at Epiphany. I suppose if I had gone to Catholic school, I would have retained that, and other information that I just briefly explored while studying catechism for communion and confirmation.

The earliest reference to Epiphany as a Christian feast was in A.D. 361, by Ammianus Marcellinus[17] St. Epiphanius says that January 6 is hemera genethlion toutestin epiphanion (Christ's "Birthday; that is, His Epiphany").[18



I suppose that it is helpful to remember the basics of why we are celebrating Christmas. It might relieve some of the pressures of shopping, decorating, sending cards, sitting on Santa’s knee, and big family dinners.

Hey, there’s no NFL football game on this Christmas day!



 
I finally cobbled together the video, pictures, and a song to portray the adventurous voyage of Captain R. D. Drake setting out to navigate Lake Treehouse.


Today’s Adventure Video;



Accumulations On The Trail

No comments: