Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Thirteen Signs

Oh My Stars

The blue star near the center of this image is Zeta Ophiuchi. When seen in visible light it appears as a relatively dim red star surrounded by other dim stars and no dust. However, in this infrared image taken with NASA's Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer, or WISE, a completely different view emerges. Zeta Ophiuchi is actually a very massive, hot, bright blue star plowing its way through a large cloud of interstellar dust and gas. More from NASA.

If the name seems familiar, it is because the star is part of the constellation Ophichus, (the so called 13th sign of the zodiac).

Depending on which side of the sidereal line in the sands of time you stand, the zodiac either has 12 signs to fit with the 4 seasons, or it has to do with the sun rising in the 13 different constellations.  

Some of you may know that there are 13 moons in a year, but the Gregorian calendar makers were charged with making a 12 month, 4 season calendar whether the natural world fit or not. So they ignored the extra moon, like the astrologers ignored the extra sign.

The astrologers and calendar makers come and go, but Zeta Ophichus will be shining brightly in the heavens for another 4 million years, (put a reminder on your refrigerator).

The Universe On My Lap
The World Outside My Door
Natural Wonders All Around
At first glance, Dorothy’s garden appeared to be without flowers, but on closer inspection I found these.

The sunset didn’t seem very colorful, until I looked behind me.

Thanks for joining me in this collection of observations about the life on earth we share. I wondered how I was going to use the pictures from earlier in the day, and then I saw the wonderful picture of Zeta Ophiuchi. It was a reminder that it’s how we look at the world that tends to determine what is important.

We are given an opportunity to appreciate and enjoy this magical experience of consciousness and physical being in a world of wonders, and I am loving every moment.

Today’s Relatively Appropriate Song;



Hooray For Music

No comments: