Monday, January 7, 2013

Once Out Of Kilter

All Seems Square Again



Starting from the top of this auspicious Sunday, I began with a good breakfast.

Trader Joe’s had some fresh strawberries on the shelf, yesterday, so I got some. I am glad I did, they taste much better than the pink, pale, tasteless Driscoll’s strawberries I got at Raley’s last week.

It’s interesting to see what shows up in the photos I take, once I get them onto the computer where I can look closely. I didn’t realize that I had missed a stem on the blueberries, until after breakfast and I saw the cereal pictures on the MacBook.



One of the very first photo subjects I saw, once I stepped outside today, was this raven flying in, over the parking lot on his way to the pine trees in the hollow beyond the gardens behind ‘A’ building. Thanks for posing, raven neighbor.
 


A few days ago, I got an email from a hotel in Great Britain. It was a reservation confirmation for Phil Seymour with Bewleys Hotel Manchester Airport. I was puzzled, briefly, until I looked closely at the email address and noticed it didn’t have the dot that I put in my name.

How interesting, another Phil Seymour, and in England, where my fathers family came from. A relative, perhaps.

When I was a schoolboy, I didn’t think there was another person with my name. Every teacher, in every school, (colleges, too), managed to mispronounce Seymour. I also, never met another Philip during my school experiences.



The first, ‘other’ Phil Seymour I encountered, was a young musician from Oklahoma. He was playing bass in the Dwight Twilley Band, and had just signed a recording contract to step out on his own. In 1975, I gave him a call and we discussed several possibilities on how to proceed in the music business with the same name.

At the time, I was close to signing a deal with Shelter records, but it wasn’t as big a contract as the younger Phil Seymour had already signed. After we talked for awhile, I told him everything would work out just fine and I would simply perform under a different name, ( I had done that several times before so it was no big deal to me ). We wished each other luck, and that was the last time I talked to him. He went on to have a successful, but short career. He died in 1993.
 


I have met other people named Phil Seymour since 1975, yet none of them had English ancestor’s as far as they knew. So, here now, is a Phil Seymour who is not only from England, he lives in England. Howdy, cousin.

I forwarded the email to his address, (which is so similar to mine, that it confused the computerized mail sorter and his mail inadvertently got delivered to me). Today, I received a thank you email from Phil Seymour.

You are very welcome, Mr. Distant Relative.



Tonight I tried a new dinner item from Trader Joe’s frozen food bin, “Hake En Papillote”,
or, as I like to call it, “Parchment Fish”. It was very good. The seasoning made this meal taste delightfully different, perhaps because it was from France. I will eat one of those again, one of these days.

Today’s Video Selection;




Clever

No comments: