Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Good Design

In Lobby Cards



One of the newsletters that I subscribe to is from the Library of Congress. The most recent e-letter has for its topic, lobby cards. These pieces of artwork were displayed inside theaters, in the lobby. Here’s a description;

Lobby cards were unique for combining the graphics created to accompany a movie with still images. The advertising art was usually presented stylistically around the borders, highlighting an inset photo. While stills themselves usually measured 8×10 and were primarily in black-and-white through the 1970s, lobby cards were most often in color, measured 11×14 inches and typically issued in sets of eight. (Read The Article)

What I thought was interesting were the instructions as to the disposal of the lobby cards after the movie had its run. They asked the theaters to either send them back to the studio, or they were supposed to destroy them. Luckily some people saved them and the collection is now on display at the Library of Congress.





Today was another lovely day here in Reading. The temperature was mild, the sky was blue, and the breeze for the most part was gentle.



I spent the day working on various projects that are still being developed, and a couple of greeting card designs for Peggy Richardson.

I got another notification from iBooks that my EIN didn’t match at the IRS. This is the second time that my application to get the Viola book published has been stopped because of this number.



I was a little frustrated, and was preparing to ask the support staff what I was doing wrong. But first I thought I had better check the printed copy I made from the IRS information with my number on it.

I pulled out the trusty magnifying glass, for the print is very small, and checked to see if that number matched the number I had been submitting.



In the meantime, I received an e-mail from my neighbor, Linda, suggesting that I check my ‘cubby’ in the mailroom. I did, and found a delicious freshly cooked ‘luncheon on a plate’.

I took time out to eat this delightful surprise, and when I returned to my task I promptly  discovered an error in the number I was entering on the forms.



I submitted the information once again, with confidence that this time I will advance to the next step in publishing my first iBook, “Kindling to Concert”, the story of a John Harrison viola.



The sunset tonight was a delight and I’m glad I captured some of it in these images here on the blog.

I put a little time in today on a new video I’m working on about the secret treasure of the Mount Shasta mine trail. It looks like it’s going to turn out to be a lot of fun.

Tonight’s Relative Video;




Peacefully Powerful

No comments: