Tuesday, March 20, 2012

So Much Information

I Have Yet To Learn



I love this life I have been given. There are so many things to learn that I rarely find myself bored, or intellectually unchallenged.



Then there is the sometimes balky functionality for remembering the interesting facts and data that I’ve accumulated. A good example would be from dinner last Saturday night where I seemed to recall lightning striking somewhere on earth every 4 seconds or so. I was in error by a factor of either 10, or 100, depending on the date of the data collection.



Just tonight I ran across a few pages containing compilations of unrelated facts, and, as if to help me refresh my lightning data memory, it stated that there are, on average, 6000 lightning strikes per minute on planet Earth. That’s a lot more than one every 4 seconds.



The latest satellite data collections on the frequency of lightning strikes around the world put the average at about 44 (+/-5) strikes per second, rather than the previously estimated 100.

So now I have a more accurate anecdote to share during a dinner conversation.



I don’t know how many of you are familiar with the Capitol records building in Hollywood, but here’s a little tidbit I read from the same list about the flashing light on top of the building;

“The flashing warning light on top of the cylindrical Capitol Records tower spells out HOLLYWOOD in Morse code.”

I always wondered why it didn’t blink at a steady rate? Now I know.



Speaking of music, and recording;

Last weekend I got to play a lot of music with the LMP trio. We played Friday night, Saturday, and even Sunday morning before I drove back home to Redding.



It was good to play again with Leona and Marion. I think something very special happens when the three of us get together and interact musically with alto sax, piano, and guitar.

I recorded all our sessions. As soon as my technical mind is clear and rested enough, I think I can come up with a solution for making aiff and WAV tracks combine at the same bit rate. This will help simplify the process of matching time codes.  Then I can focus on mixing and editing the recordings. I think we got some stellar moments that will be a treat to work with.

Today’s Relative Video;




Digestible Data

No comments: