Saturday, December 3, 2011

Learning New Things

Re-learning Others

Hurricane force Santa Ana winds in Southern California read the headlines. One has to read far down in the story until they mention that this happens every 10 years.



In 1958 like most kids, I had a paper route. I lived in Northridge, California and delivered the Hollywood Reporter. The route was spread out long bicycle pedaling distances between customers, (it was not a real popular paper unless you were in show business).



I could fit the papers for all my customers in two large bags that hung from my handlebars. I enjoyed my route and I liked my famous customers, except those that wouldn’t answer the door when it was time for me to collect.



It was the Santa Ana winds that put an end to my career as a newspaper delivery person. The winds blowing down the streets against me were so fierce that I couldn’t make any forward progress with those big bags hanging on my handlebars. I finally had to walk up to somebodys house and ask if I could use their phone to call my mother, so I could ask her to drive me around to finish my route that day.



After driving me around on my route for a couple of days my mother suggested that I call my supervisor and tell him I could not continue with my paper route.

There were no headlines about vicious Santa Anna winds. I soon learned, back in the 50s, that the Santa Ana winds blew into town every year, and that some years they would be stronger than in other years.





You may have noticed by now that I have been playing with new after effects for the photographs I took today. I downloaded a few new applications in my search for some different frames, and some of them turned out to be a lot of fun.



It certainly helped that it was a beautiful day full of striking images; The moon was out, the mountains were lit, and the Sundial Bridge glowed in the sunset.

When I took the pictures of Mt. Lassen from the enclosure for the Treehouse dumpster, I noticed a lady bug walking along the top edge where I was steadying the camera. It wanted it’s picture taken too.



After all that picture taking I had worked up an appetite. Lucky for me I had some fresh tomatoes that Sandi Taylor brought from her garden, which I used to make a salad.

About the time I was finished with my salad I got a call from my neighbor Linda Elliott. She had just baked some apple turnover/dapple/pastries, and wondered if I wanted some.

I am very thankful to be who I am and where I am.



I hope you enjoyed your day as much as I enjoyed mine.

Today’s Relatively Appropriate Song;





Bountiful Blessings

No comments: