Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Really Fast

Is Really Relative



Some people are puzzled by the speed at which the universe expanded during the Big Bang. Some think that, given the measurements, and elapsed time, that the gases had to exceed the speed of light.



I recently answered a similar question on Quora:

If I am walking along at 3mph, I am actually walking at 3mph + 900mph (speed of earths rotation where I am walking) + 66,660mph (speed of earth traveling around the sun). That means, if I make my walking speed measurement from the sun, I would be observed to be walking 67,563 mph.

So it is with matter within the expanding gases of the big bang. An electron traveling at the speed of light, while in a packet of material traveling at the speed of light, would be exciting nearby matter to travel at the speed of light, and so forth.

None of the particles are exceeding the speed of light from their vantage point.

Gorgeous Day



The sun was shining bright the temperature was warm and it was a great day for pictures.



The only time I needed a jacket was when I went to the dam in the late afternoon to take pictures of Shasta and the dam. Even there it was plenty warm and the day was beautiful.



It wasn’t really this colorful up at Lake Shasta, or anywhere in the real universe, but it was such a good picture that it worked well with enhancement software. A lot of people like the really bright colors, and it does look kind of fun, so I thought I’d put it in here today. The other pictures are their natural selves.



I have taken hundreds of pictures of bees on the flowers, but this is the first time I’ve snapped a picture of a honey bee and a bumblebee feasting side-by-side.

It was a lovely third of January here at the Treehouse Apartments. Birds, bees, and even some people were outside enjoying the beautiful weather.

Today’s Relatively Appropriate Song;




Balance

No comments: